Homepage

Welcome to the Brandon Flight Centre!



The Brandon Flight Centre was created in 1936, inspired by a love for aviation. It was originally called The Brandon-Virden Flying Club. Here at the Flight Centre we offer a wider array of aviation services to the Westman Area, including a full service  FBO, Licensed AMO, Flight Academy, Sightseeing flights and more!

The Brandon Flying Club was established on November 28, 1936 and incorporated on January 2, 1937. It is a Not-for-Profit Corporation and was originally named the Brandon-Virden Flying Club. At this time Cecil Leech, who was one of the founding members, was the Club’s President, as well as its Chief Flight Instructor. Mr. Leech was holder of both an RCAF and civilian rating as a pilot instructor and proved invaluable in training civilian pilots and RCAF personnel for the Club as time went on. The club began as a training school for pilots.

History and Mission Statement

The Brandon Flying Club was established on November 28, 1936 and incorporated on January 2, 1937. It is a Not-for-Profit Corporation and was originally named the Brandon-Virden Flying Club. At this time Cecil Leech, who was one of the founding members, was the Club’s President, as well as its Chief Flight Instructor. Mr. Leech was holder of both an RCAF and civilian rating as a pilot instructor and proved invaluable in training civilian pilots and RCAF personnel for the Club as time went on. The club began as a training school for pilots.

At this time, all civil flying was under the jurisdiction of the Department of National Defence and thus the Club’s first move was to gain access to the Canadian Flying Club Association. In order to encourage civilian flying, the department had an arrangement through the Flying Club Association, whereby member clubs who purchased a new training plane were provided with a second trainer. Thus, two new planes were purchased, a Taylor Cub and an Aronca Cabin.

By the fall of 1941, the Club was forced to shut down operations for the duration of the war due to lack of students and personnel leaving for other employment or joining the military services. It should be noted that by 1939, the Brandon Flying Club was very highly regarded by both inspectors of the Department of National Defense and the Flying Club officials. The Brandon Flying Club was selected as the first club in Canada to train pilots for the Royal Canadian Air Force.

The Club has grown substantially since its conception in 1943. Promotion and education of aviation remains a large focus of the BFC and is fostered through attending fairs within the region, fly-ins, social events, public speaking, opening our doors to other clubs to hold their meetings, website updates, and the training of anyone who would like to obtain their pilot’s licence. To date the BFC maintains its Flight Academy, which includes a Chief Flight Instructor and one part-time flight instructor and an enrolment of many eager students.

At present, the BFC still occupies the original building and land. Today, within our arsenal of planes, the Club owns three Cessna 172’s. We service all of our membership planes, as well as transient customers from Brandon, all of Manitoba, as well as Canada and International planes. The Club now employs 12 full-time and part-time staff and has an active Board of Directors that includes seven Board members with diverse backgrounds and expertise. Presently, the BFC has a membership of over 170 male and female members. The Club is lucky to have over 40 lifetime members and they share with the Club their love and great enthusiasm of flying, and along with many, a colourful story of the history of events of the BFC. As well, the Club has six active committees helping to further the viability of the BFC.

A Not-for-Profit Act has been introduced by the Canadian Government and the BFC is undergoing yet another change to meet the needs of the New Act, which was implemented in 2014. Change is not uncommon to the BFC as it has weathered many throughout the years but no matter what has taken place, the BFC is still a viable training and flying Club with active enthusiastic members.

Purpose and Mission Statement

Brandon Flight Centre is established, maintained, and conducts the organization for the purpose of promoting flying, flight safety, and advancing the study and practice of flying, flight engineering, aeronautics, and aviation.

Brandon Flight Centre shall acquire and hold land, buildings, and essential assets for the purpose of establishing and maintaining depots, hangars workshops, and meeting areas for the care, housing, reception, and dispatch of aircraft for the purpose of the Corporation and of the members thereof.

Brandon Flight Centre shall acquire, hold, operate, and maintain all manner of heavier-than-air, lighter-than-air, and all sport aviation airships and activities.

The Corporation shall be carried on without pecuniary gain to its members and that any profits or other accretions to the Corporation shall be used in promoting its objects.

The subscribers hereto shall be the first members of the Corporation under the Canada Not-For-Profit Corporations Act and the Corporations shall consist of the subscribers and of those who shall hereafter duly become members of the Corporation in accordance with the bylaws in force.

The first Directors of the Corporation shall be as set out in the petition herein.



P: 204.728.7691

F: 204.727.8213

admin@brandonflightcentre.com

425 Agnew Drive

Brandon, MB